Welcome to our food blog, Hungryhungryjew.
This food blog is a collaborative effort between my fiancee (Nikki) and myself (Alan). We live in the great northwest and since it rains here so much one of the things we enjoy doing is finding great recipes for to enjoy.
I thought that it would be really cool if we worked together on a food blog to share some of the food we enjoy.
For my first entry into our blog is Nikki’s favorite homemade chili I prepare. It’s very simple to make and you can even double or triple it and store it in the freezer, as it keeps well.
The recipe is as follows
- 3T olive oil
- 1 medium red onion
- 8 cloves garlic
- 1T salt
- 2tsp chili powder
- 1tsp oregano
- 1T tomato paste (can use more if you want it thicker)
- 2 cans mild green chilis (we use mild chilis, as I am wimp)
- 1 pound ground turkey
- 1 12oz Lager Beer (I use shiner bock)
- 1 14.5 oz can peeled tomatoes (I use diced) and keep the juice
- 1 15.5 oz can Kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 14.5 oz can sweet yellow corn, don’t waste the juice, add it to the chili
- Heat oil, then add the onion, garlic, salt, chili powder and oregano - cook about 3 mins. In a separate pan cook your ground turkey.
- Add the tomato paste and the green chilis and cook for about another minute
- Add the ground turkey
- Add the beer and simmer until liquid is reduced by 1/2
- Add the tomatoes and the juice, add the beans and corn/juice
- Bring to a boil. Cook until thickened. about 10 mins, but you can let it cook longer.
- You can adjust to your likeness. We add Sour cream and some cheddar cheese to ours.